Monday, March 16, 2015

Course Reflections, Already?

It really doesn't feel like eleven weeks have gone by since this class first started. I've never payed too much attention to the narrator in stories before, or at least I've never realized how important their point of view is in relation to telling the truth of the story, and I've never really been taught anything about this subject, so this class really opened up something completely new in my mind. Of course I've read Heart of Darkness before, but not in the way that you have taught this class and now I can see the clever way in which Conrad has played with narration and now the story is even more interesting to me.
As this class progressed, many more new ideas were introduced to me, like the importance of the imperialist gaze and the colonized gaze that resonates in almost all of the works, and most importantly for me in Queimada! I really liked the use of the second person point of view and how it either bends the truth or allows reliability to the narrators cause, like in The Quiet american or A Small Place. I really liked this course because it showed me different ways to tell the truth as we saw in our later, more political readings that showed just how corrupt higher powers tend to be. What I can take with me from this class is a new sense and style of reading that allows me to look deeper in how the story is being told rather that what the narrator is telling, and without this realization, I would be missing out on a huge concept in literature and I really can't be doing that. I hope my memory doesn't fade so quickly next quarter or else I might start losing the sense of what is true in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment