Sunday, March 15, 2015

Course Reflection

This class has definitely been one of my favorites at UCSC: although my concentration is on modern literature, rarely have I had the opportunity to discuss history and political ideology in the classroom. I think that often, the literature produced during times of conflict produce important narratives that reflect on the political climate of the time, and these kinds of stories are especially important when they come from a perspective not often revealed. I've taken classes on authorship and audience, I've been trained to seek the intention of the narrator, but never has it been officially taught with crucial understanding of imperialist violence and with a focus on the plight of the colonized.

One of the units that struck me the most was that of A Pale View of Hills. Growing up, one of the only images of WWII shown to me in school was that of the mushroom cloud. I had always known that the US bombed Japan, but as a child, I only knew that to look like a giant, almost beautiful and dream-like tower of smoke. Of course, since then I've learned more about the situation, but for the most part, wherever you go to learn about US history, you will be told the same couple of stories time and time again. And these are rarely stories about people affected negatively by the actions of the United States. The eeriness of A Pale View of Hills really serves to highlight destruction and trauma that war causes. It seems so basic, but it wasn't until letting these stories sink in and actually seeing images of Japanese women affected by the war (as wells people from other parts of the world, included in other units) did it really click for me that America grows up without taking responsibility for the past. It's kind of amazing to me that this material has been reserved for the university setting, in a more left-bent classroom, on a "progressive" campus, in the generally ~liberal~ state of California, etc. It's frightening.

This class has really been one of my favorites during my time at UCSC. Although I've enjoyed all the the lit department has offered me, the history discussed this quarter made me think twice. It's too late now, but post-graduation and outside of school I plan on developing my politics more, thinking critically about every news story, etc. Thank you Christine and Kara!

No comments:

Post a Comment