Friday, March 13, 2015

Goodbye for Now, I Won't Forget Thee

Sam Weiner, Those Who Fail to Remember the Past are Condemned to Repeat it 1970.

In this piece, Sam Weiner creates these sculptures of caskets in response to the Vietnam War and its raising death tolls. The caskets are placed in front of mirrors which create the illusion of endlessness, thus correlating with its title. The sense of infinity is evoked when looking upon the mirrors, and like the title reveals history will repeat itself if there is an absence of remembrance and education.
As I learned about this image in my HAVC 141 course, I knew I wanted to connect this piece with what I learned in Unreliable Narration. When I see this image, I immediately think of The Quiet American; however, prominently think of A Pale View of Hills. Learning about feminized memory and Japan's intent to restructure its narratives  made on impact on me because I had no prior knowledge of that historical event. I was blind, and that scares me because it shows the power the government has upon society. But now because I know, I can take responsibility and take action to be aware and become a disruption to society with thought. Memory is incredibly significant, and is something I long to hold onto, because I do not want to repeat history (even on a micro-level of self-habits).

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful, I absolutely loved you analysis of this image and application to the course. <3

    ReplyDelete